The 48 Film Festival (aka. The 48) is a brand new Canada-wide short filmmaking challenge and festival spearheaded by Ben Williams and Guy Maddin. For one weekend, participants will write, shoot, direct, score, edit and finish a short film in 48 hours.
Filmmakers who register and complete their film by the deadline will be screened locally in each participating province and territory, then the top 2 films selected from each province and territory will appear together on the big screen at the TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto in March 2022.
- Individuals or teams may register to make a film.
- Films encouraged to include music produced by northern artists.
- Finished film can be up to 4 minutes maximum running time including credits.
- Filmmakers who submit a finished film by the deadline will be included in the online screening.
- Equipment is not provided but our rentals are first-come first-served. Be sure to book your gear after registering!
- At the start time, filmmakers will receive an email containing a theme and the “key” which includes items, elements, and techniques that must appear in your film (this ensures everyone starts at the same time). Stock footage is allowed, but “key” requirements must be met.
- If your film is in another language and requires subtitles, you must still submit your film by 5 pm on June 13th, but you will get an extra 24 hours to submit your film with subtitles. No other edits can be made AFTER 5 pm on June 13th.
- Late submissions will be disqualified. Make sure you start uploading with time to spare.
- Format: Submissions must be in MP4 format uploaded to your own YouTube, Vimeo, or other video host site and the link must be submitted to email@example.com by 5 pm on June 13th.
- All participants must have a valid WAMP membership and Safe Sets™️ COVID-19 (Level A) Certificate FREE (quick links for both will be sent in the registration confirmation email).
Key is revealed + filming begins: Friday, June 11th, 2021 @ 5:00 pm MT
Film submission deadline: Sunday, June 13th, 2021 @ 5:00pm MT
Online Screening: Saturday, June 19th, at 8 pm MT
Register here: https://forms.gle/iUksgs91a6JAP5178
- First place – NWT Film Commission swag, $500 WAMP bucks & film screened at TIFF Bell Lightbox in March 2022
- Second place – NWT Film Commission swag, $250 WAMP bucks & film screened at TIFF Bell Lightbox in March 2022
- Third place – NWT Film Commission swag, WAMP swag & $100 WAMP bucks
- Participation – WAMP swag